Family Education & Support Services helps families of children with special needs by enhancing the knowledge and skills of children and their families to achieve optimal success in life. The family, in partnership with a Family Support Specialist, chooses goals to work on in an Individualized Family Service Plan. Services include:
- Helping children reach their maximum potential within their most natural environment (usually in the home or out in their community,)
- Assisting families in maximizing their skills and abilities to utilize resources and to help their child,
- Assessing children’s and family needs,
- Providing information and referral to other services as needed, and
- Coordinating services with schools and other team members working with the child.
Who is eligible?
- Children age three up to their eighth birthday who have two or more developmental areas with a 25% or more delay, or one or more developmental area delayed by at least 50%. For example, a 40-month old child who is assessed to have communication skills at the 20-month level has one area with a 50% delay. Children in this age group may also have an intellectual disability, but do not have to have a disability to qualify.
- Children and adults age eight up to their twenty-first birthday who have been determined to have an intellectual disability (IQ 70 or below) by the Montana Developmental Disabilities Program.
How is a referral made?
It is expected that children in this program will also be eligible for school services, so children are usually receiving services through schools before beginning Family Education & Support. There is a waiting list for this program. Anyone can make a referral with parent/guardian approval by contacting Sandy Peaslee, Early Intervention Director at 234-6034, or by filling out and faxing a referral form (download here) to 406-234-7018, or by mailing it to DEAP, 2200 Box Elder, Suite 151, Miles City, MT 59301.
Where are services provided?
DEAP provides this service in 10 counties in Southeastern Montana: Carter, Custer, Dawson, Fallon, Garfield, Powder River, Prairie, Rosebud, Treasure, and Wibaux.